Internet poker bill undergoes last-minute changes ahead of showdown vote
A long-delayed bill that would legalize Internet poker in California is being amended to address concerns by a group of Native American casino operators who had opposed the measure, setting the stage for a possible vote in the state Assembly on Monday.
One change to the bill by Assemblyman Adam Gray would create a five-year disqualification period for those who were providing I-poker games to U.S. citizens while it was against federal law to do so.
A group of Native American tribes that operate casinos had opposed the bill when it allowed so-called “bad actors” easier access to state I-poker licenses. The amendment appears to address what those opponents had asked for.
The bill is also being amended to change the tax rate for I-poker sites from a sliding scale of from 8.64% to 15% based on the annual gross gaming revenue to a flat rate of 10%.
“This deal should secure 2/3rds [vote] in Assembly,” said Trent Hager, the chief of staff for Gray, in an email. He added indications are that “it will be fairly well received in the Senate.”
from Poker
Post a Comment